Monday, May 7, 2012

Misty Mountain Hop

     Yesterday, Andrew and I headed out for a hike. Andrew had done it a couple times before and said it was a fun way to spend 4-5 hours and then enticed me further by telling me there was makgeolli at the top. So I agreed to join him and we had a fun time acting like boys on a mountain. Below are pictures.
The area in green is the destination. It's called Gwanaksan, which, according to my stellar investigation skills (thanks Wikipedia), means "hat-shaped mountain". The area in yellow is where I live.
Green marks the starting point and the subway station. Yellow is the top of the mountain. And red is where we exited the wilds of Gwanaksan.
Down below you'll see a picture of a helicopter pad. Here you can see it just left of center. The rocky area in the middle is also featured below and was where we stopped for a bowl of makgeolli.
This is where we began. We didn't go up the stairs though. We turned left before them and started the climb.
About two-thirds of the way up was a temple complex. We stopped here for a short break, some pictures, and a small cup of vending machine coffee.
Lots of lights. I might have to go back at night if possible.
Andrew's idea. Take a picture of my reflection. Behind the glass was some kind of Buddhist thing.
One of the buildings.
And another with a large bell inside.
Looking up at the main building.
And now I'm standing on that ledge looking back down at the trail/stairs.
And now looking back out over the town of Gwancheon. In the Google Earth image at the top of this post, you can make out a horse track. Here you can see if just to the left of center.
Here's the top. Bet you didn't expect so many people. Neither did I. Just up there and to the left, you can make out the little umbrella where they sold us the refreshing makgeolli. I can hear you asking how they get it up here. They carry it, of course!
Makgeolli is usually served in bowls such as this. 
Looking east again. The horse track is almost in the center.
Again.
Here's the helicopter pad I mentioned earlier. Not sure if it's from the war, but I guess it could be.
Looking north now. You can see the Han River. Gangnam, where I work and live, is off to the left.
Looking more northwest now.
The landing patter for Incheon, I presume.
A Giant on the mountain.
Andrew being careful.
I probably could have made it down without the rope, but it was more fun to use it.
The Korean flag, called the Taegeukgi, on top of the rocks. 
Looking back up at where we'd stopped for the drink. Weather station and antenna up there.
This is the last shot I took before concentrating on not killing myself on the way down. The decent was quite tough at times and I found myself thinking that one misstep could mean the end of your humble narrator. But I was almost as sure footed as a mountain goat and came out unscathed. Definitely gonna have to do this again.


No comments:

Post a Comment