Friday, April 13, 2012

Poof!

     So as I am sure you've heard, North Korea launched the rocket this morning (Korea time). I don't know the exact time it happened, but I imagine I was either getting ready for work or on my way because a few minutes after I arrived, one of the teachers said it had happened.
     Obviously, I switched from getting ready for class to looking for news on the matter and found that the first words about it were that it had failed. At that point there were no details other than that it had gone for a ways and then broke apart. One wonders if 1) the North Koreans will accept this as a catastrophic failure, 2) blame another country (most likely SK or Japan) for shooting the thing down, 3) claim it a success with new satellite in orbit, or 4) react in some other predictably unpredictable North Korean way. Only time will tell.
     It's interesting, though, that NK went through all the trouble of inviting the media in, showing them around a couple days ago, and then not waking them up for the launch. The journalists I've seen (and probably you too) have looked and sounded rather shocked that the thing happened without a word. Maybe the translations were bad, haha. I know what that's like.


Amendment: Wow. Didn't see such quick honesty to its own people coming.
                         

No comments:

Post a Comment