Monday, March 26, 2012

What's in the bag, sir?

     Grabbed the backpack and took a walk to Emart to get some food today. There is a distinctive lack of sizable grocery stores in my area. There is a small local store that Ami and I go to called, oddly enough, Su Yeon market (Su Yeon is Ami's real name) where we go to get food stuffs. Then there is a bigger grocery store at the bottom of the Hyundai department store. It's a medium sized grocery store and has more than the Su Yeon market, but I hate going there because it's always crowded and walking around in crowded areas in Korea is not fun. For things like beer and snacks, there is a plethora of small convenience stores in the area and I think all the clerks at these places know my face.
     Emart, though, is much better than all the aforementioned places for a few reasons. It's bigger and has a good selection of food. It is not only a grocery store but also a place to get things like dishes, towels, trash bags, lamps, washing machines, and lots of other things you might need around the house. It's cheaper than local grocery stores. And finally, it has imported beer. This last point is what motivated my walk today.
     On the way out I decided to stop by my bank to get some cash for the week and also to take a look down the street where the Nuclear Security Summit will begin tomorrow. I'm rather curious about this whole thing--not so much because of what will happen behind the closed doors, but more because I'm curious to see how a city handles having over fifty heads of state visiting.
     The police presence down there is amazing. They are everywhere. They've also, according to Ami, closed our subway station and the two on either side of it. The subway hasn't stopped, mind you; it will simply skip these three stations for a couple days (Ami will have to take a taxi to the nearest station tomorrow and Tuesday to begin her journey to her university). They are also controlling the traffic on the roads around here. All this means that when I walked down there today, there were a lot fewer people and traffic. It was rather nice.
     After the bank, I walked west to the Emart, about a 20-minute walk, bought the stuff I needed and walked home under a few circling helicopters who were certainly not looking for backpacks loaded with stuff like mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment